Canton Day Care Center is overseen by Executive Director Nancy Addison, who has acted as director since 2008. Each classroom is managed by a lead teacher and an assistant. Lead teachers must have an associate’s degree in early childhood education, with one year of specific training or experience in infant or toddler care. Assistants must have a high school diploma, with two years of direct experience working with children under 13 years of age.
Staff members are hired in accordance with regulations set by the New York State Office of Children and Family Services. They must be mature, of good character, and possess suitable personal qualifications. Staff must be in good physical and mental health and have the energy and emotional stability necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of their positions.
All staff, including the Executive Director, are required to get thirty hours of training every two years in the following areas:
- Business Record Maintenance Management
- Child Abuse & Maltreatment Identification & Prevention
- Child Daycare Program Development
- Identification, Diagnosis & Prevention of Shaken Baby
- Nutrition & Health Needs of Children
- Principles of Childhood Development
- Safety & Security Procedures
- Statues and Regulations Pertaining to Child Abuse
- Statue and Regulations Pertaining to Child Care
- First Aid & CPR Training